The bags I make are labor intensive, and each one is an individual work of art. Therefore, I’ve found I’m happiest making them on commission, so the colors and the artistic motif match the intended recipient to a tee!
All my bags are made from hand dyed canvas, so they are very durable. I designed them to have all the features I wanted in a bag:
- They’re sturdy – Each piece is fused to batting and interfacing, to give it structure. The base is given shape by 2 pieces of peltex (the material baseball cap brims are made from). Crucial seams are double stitched, and top-stitching adds strength and beauty.
- They’re pretty – The front flap begins as a unique art quilt, quilted with my “sketchy” quilting style. Of course, I think the colors I choose are nice – that’s why I dye them 😉
- They’re functional – Each bag was originally designed by me to meet a specific need, because a gal can’t have too many bags now, can she? Thus, each bag has unique features like pockets, key leashes and adjustable straps, each with a particular function…with my bags I NEVER lose my cell phone or my keys (I still occasionally lose the whole bag though!)
Process (Click on Links below, they will open in new page).
- Choose your bag type & size
- Choose your color palette
- 1st, choose which of the 2 color palettes you would like me to work with (Warm or Cool), and then specify what the main and secondary color should be.
- Choose a motif, this tells me which style to use while creating that little art quilt that is the beginning of YOUR bag.
- Sometimes people like to select a symbolic number for the motif (like, one large bird & 2 smaller birds to represent a Mom and her 2 children).
- Special modifications:
- Which shoulder will you wear it on? Would you like a slightly longer or shorter strap? Would you like a special pocket? All these type of issues can be discussed and accommodated!
- Time Frame:
- This varies with what’s piled up on my workspace at home, can be as short as 3 days, but may be as long as a month. We’ll make it work for both of us!
- Email me! Candy@CandiedFabrics.com
For more inspiration, go to this Flickr Collection, with pix of LOTS of the bags I’ve made!